Primary Teacher Training in Cornwall -Train to Teach
Our School Direct initial teacher training (ITT) programme offers high-quality, practical training in Aspire schools with the support of skilled Aspire colleagues.
We work closely with our partners at Cornwall SCITT - they are our accredited provider. This means they carefully design the course content which is complemented by excellent practical training and mentoring in Aspire schools.
Around 75% of the course is school-centred, gaining valuable hands-on experience, with the remaining time spent at the training centre on course learning, delivered by our colleagues at Cornwall SCITT, alongside expert Aspire practitioners, other education specialists and consultants. There are also opportunities for short, focused experience days at other settings.
Successful completion of our ITT programme leads to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and a PGCE, validated by Bath Spa University.
Apply from 11th October 2022 for courses starting September 2023 – view course information and begin your application from 4th October 2022. Click here. Early application is strongly recommended.
- We have two courses available – both are full time, lasting one year:
- Primary (age 3-7 years) - specialising in the early years
- Primary (age 5-11 years) - encompassing Key Stage One and Key Stage Two
- Both courses will qualify to teach right across the primary age range.
- Selecting the Primary (age 3-7) course means placements are in Reception and Key Stage One.
- The Primary (age 5-11) course means placements in the Autumn term will be in Key Stage One, followed by two placements in Key Stage Two in subsequent terms.
- Course codes: Primary (3-7) - D561 / Primary (5-11) - 38KY
- School Direct (fee funded) – tuition fees can be self funded, or funded through a tuition fee loan. Unfortunately, we do not have any paid training places available.
- Find full course information here.
As we work in partnership with Cornwall SCITT, our trainees have access to absolutely everything that Cornwall SCITT offer through their own SCITT courses – we just add to this offer:
- Career prospects - training with us could be the start of an Aspire career. Where vacancies and circumstances allow, we hope to place our trainees as Early Career Teachers (ECTs) in our Aspire schools, taking away the stress of applying for jobs and interviews whilst training.
- A personal-issue laptop for the duration of the course allows trainees to connect and be fully integrated into the Aspire networks and our online community of resources.
- Dedicated mentor time with excellent class teachers to develop practice.
- Our class teachers working with trainees also have access to mentoring themselves to help them give the best support.
- All placements are in Aspire schools, carefully chosen to give trainees the best experiences.
- Training in a multi-academy trust means wider support and opportunities are available – including support from a range of expert practitioners and teachers.