- Initial Teacher Training (ITT)
- Aspire Academy Trust in partnership with Cornwall SCITT
Aspire Academy Trust in partnership with Cornwall SCITT
We have been training teachers for several years now and all of our past trainees have secured employment subsequently as Early Career Teachers – and almost all of our past trainees continue to work in Aspire Academy Trust schools.
We are really passionate about professional development and very much see our teacher training courses as a way of ‘growing our own’ future teachers, which is why we feel so invested in our trainees.
We work in partnership with Cornwall SCITT as our accredited provider, meaning our trainees have access to their excellent training and skilled tutors, as well as quality support, experience and training with our own teachers and experts.
We have a select group of trainees on our courses each year who enjoy being part of a close-knit group. We really get to know each and every one of our trainees, and because we have smaller cohort numbers, it means we are able to tailor our support and get the best for everyone.
Applications are open now for courses starting September 2024.
- Full-time postgraduate fee-funded training delivered by Aspire Academy Trust in partnership with Cornwall SCITT as the accredited provider.
- Duration – one year (September-July)
- Two courses available: Primary (3-7), Primary (5-11) (both qualify to teach across primary)
- Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) with PGCE validated by Bath Spa University, plus credits towards a Master’s
- Fees: £9,250
- 2 hours of mentoring each week
- In-person delivery
- Time in school or for centre-based training is in blocks - so full weeks are spent either in school or at the training centre (at Heartlands, Pool). Some weeks are split between time in school and at the centre.
- Delivery of course content is supported by Aspire colleagues, as well as other educational specialists.
- Placements in Aspire Academy Trust Schools
- Primary 3-7: one placement in Year 2, one placement in Year 1, one placement in Reception
- Primary 5-11: one placement in KS1, one placement in UKS2, one placement in LKS2
- GCSEs in English, maths and science at Grade C or above, or Grades 4-9 under the new GCSE grade system, or equivalent.
- A first degree from a UK Higher Education Institution, which must be a 2:2 or above (this can be achieved or pending), or equivalent.
School experience is strongly recommended though not essential.
What can we offer to our trainees?
- Aspire Academy Trust is a forward-thinking, strong multi-academy trust with a number of skilled experts who are highly regarded regionally and nationally.
- Our close ties with Cornwall SCITT colleagues mean there are excellent links between placements/practical learning in school and centre-based training.
- We have a proven track record of training teachers who go on to be successful early career teachers (ECTs) and remain in teaching.
- We give each of our trainees an Aspire laptop for the duration of the course. This opens up a world of resources, networks and support from colleagues that trainees on other courses might not have access to.
- There are opportunities for enhanced placements including special schools, area resource bases (ARBs), alternative provision and nursery settings.
- We offer career prospects – although we can’t guarantee a job at the end of the course, we are fully committed to sourcing a role for our trainees, taking away the stress of applying for jobs whilst training. Almost all of our past trainees have secured a role within our trust on training completion, which is something we are very proud of.
- Beyond teacher training, we deliver the early career teacher induction which all ECTs complete after qualifying as teachers. This is in partnership with Best Practice Network and means that trainees are able to make a smooth transition to the next phase of their development with continued and consistent support from us.
- Working in education can be extremely busy, so as a trust, we have a culture of prioritising wellbeing and encouraging everyone to maintain a good work-life balance.
Above all, we really get to know our trainees. We genuinely care about their development and success and will do everything we can to make their journey into teaching fulfilling and rewarding.
Applications & More Information
- Apply to Aspire Academy Trust. Course codes: Primary (3-7) D561 / Primary (5-11) 38KY
- Full course information - Primary 3-7
- Full course information - Primary 5-11
If you think you are ready to apply, you can do this through the DfE's Apply Service.